Pre-Conference Workshops can provide participants with an opportunity to extend their knowledge and strengthen their skills in the area addressed by the workshop. These sessions provide additional time for interaction with participants.
Additionally, pre-conference workshops will require an additional fee in order to be presented. This fee may be covered in two ways. By default, the conference will charge a $40 fee per registrant to fund the workshop. Alternatively, presenters may opt for another source to fund the workshop at a flat fee of $800.
Since these workshops are scheduled outside the regular conference blocking, they are allotted three-hour time slots during the workshop day. This longer time period allows presenters to delve deeper into the topics presented.
- Pre-conference Workshops will provide a collaborative, active learning environment for the attendees. Attendees will leave with skills, knowledge, or materials that they can use in their own teaching practice or scholarship of learning and teaching.
- Pre-conference Workshop presenters will submit an outline and supporting documentation for the workshop rather than a formal paper.
- Pre-conference Workshop presenters must register for and attend the conference.
- Pre-conference Workshop attendees must pre-register for workshops. A fee may be charged to cover workshop materials.
- Pre-conference Workshops proposals will be peer-reviewed by at least three reviewers.
All proposals for Pre-Conference Workshops at FIE 2018 must be submitted electronically no later than February 12, 2018 through the conference submission web site. Each person involved in the session must be added as an author in the EDAS submission.
Contact information for the workshop organizer should be entered in the spaces provided on the submission web page.
The proposal text should provide the following information:
- Contact information (name, affiliation, phone, and email) for each anticipated facilitator or presenter in the workshop
- Goal(s) of the Pre-Conference Workshop and how these goals align with the goals of FIE
- Description of topics/subjects/content of the workshop (approximately 200-300 words)
- References or explanations of the qualifications of presenters to lead this workshop (approximately 100-200 words)
- Workshop agenda (Please give details and approximate time allotted for each activity)
- Description of the anticipated audience and the maximum number of people you would prefer
- Description of the take-away skill, knowledge or material that attendees will acquire (approximately 100-200 words)
- Any special requirements for electricity, audio-visual equipment, or materials.
- Anticipated fee for attendees to cover materials and supplies. The FIE committee may impose additional fees to cover facility expenses.
Please note that workshop presenters are expected to register for and participate in the full conference.
The initially submitted proposal for a pre-conference workshop will be reviewed to determine if it is an appropriate fit for the FIE conference. If the proposal passes the first review, it will undergo a more thorough, second round of peer review. For the second round of peer review, the initially submitted proposal should be revised to be a draft conforms to the required IEEE format for the conference.
Additionally, because workshops are partly evaluated based on the expertise of the facilitators, the submissions should be prepared for single-blind review (i.e., the authors and affiliations should be identified).
February 12, 2018 - Initial proposals are due.
March 14, 2018 - Authors are notified of results from first round of reviews.
May 2, 2018 - Responses to suggestions for modifications or clarifications are due.
May 21, 2018 - Authors are notified about final decisions of acceptance or rejection.
July 9, 2018 - Final session descriptions, outlines, summaries, and accompanying papers are due.
September 15, 2018 - Presenters are notified of the number of registrants for the workshop.
October 1, 2018 - Last opportunity for presenters to cancel the workshop due to attendance.